The Benefits of Expansion PEX Pipe
PEX pipes (or cross-linked polyethylene) are becoming increasingly common in the plumbing industry and have begun replacing steel and copper pipes as the primary means of piping for water supply lines in homes and facilities. PEX pipes are flexible, durable, and easy to work with; you’ve probably even seen these pipes in your local home improvement store.
For DIY aficionados and plumbing professionals alike, flexibility improvements are made possible by the multitude of connection methods available. PEX expansion fittings are just one of the available options. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of installing PEX pipes on your property.
5 Types of PEX Pipe Connections
There are five commonly known types of connections for PEX pipes, each serving different purposes for plumbing systems:
- PEX Crimp Fittings: A copper ring slips onto the end of your PEX tube, and you use a crimping tool to tighten the connection.
- Stainless Steel Clamps: Used to tighten the clamps around the end of a PEX pipe, similar to the crimp fittings. Instead of crimping, you compress a ring with a clamp tool until the tool stops responding.
- Compression Fittings: A brass nut goes over the end of the PEX tube, followed by a plastic compression ring and a brass tube. Both are screwed onto the end of the tube, and the nut is tightened to create a seal between the plastic ring and the tube.
- Push-Fit Connections: Push-fit connections are a stiffening sleeve that “grabs” the pipe once inserted, leading to a tight seal. These connections are similar to the toys you played with as a child where you inserted your fingers on either side, and they became stuck.
- PEX Expansion Connections: Expansion fittings use an expansion ring and a large pipe to “expand” the length of the PEX pipe upon insertion of the tube at the end of the fitting. The tube then shrinks back to its original size.
Benefits of Expansion PEX Connections
With so many different options to choose from, it might be tough to distinguish the benefits of expansion PEX connections compared to the available options. While there are benefits to each expansion method, expansion connections offer a wide range of perks that ensure the safety of your water systems in the tight spaces and confines of your plumbing systems.
Easy to Learn/Quick to Install
The most notable benefit of an expansion PEX fitting is ease and quickness of installation. The process, as described above, is even more straightforward in person and doesn’t require any complex tools or equipment to install.
The Best Water Flow
These connections are the easiest to install, but they also have a quick and easy flow that doesn’t lead to any drops in pressure. The tightness and size of the fitting lead to a much more streamlined water flow that isn’t compromised by bends and twists.
Resistant to Corrosion and Oxidation
There is little to no corrosion that occurs with expansion fittings which is one of the best benefits of expansion PEX piping. Corrosion is one of the main enemies of piping and connections, so a corrosion-resistant fitting adds a ton of value, strength, and durability to your connection.
Installation Approved in Multiple Ways
Expansion PEX piping is also approved for direct burial within the soil, concrete, and behind walls. This adds flexibility for plumbers installing piping and connections and signifies a more durable and resistant connection.
Get PEX Pipes and Connections Installed in Your Home ASAP
These benefits of expansion PEX piping add up to make for a flexible and efficient product that can last the test of time and produce fantastic results while at it. Many plumbers prefer expansion PEX piping, often stating that they tend to leak the least and are the most resistant to colder weather conditions.
If the benefits of expansion PEX piping intrigue you, or if you have leaky pipes and need bathtub and shower repair services in Houston, TX, consider a trusted neighborhood plumber to install your new piping today. We are available for all plumbing services, so reach out to us today for more information on how our services can benefit your home!